It’s summer and that means enjoying outdoor activities like golf, tennis and fishing. An important part of any day in the sun is protecting yourself from its damaging rays. But many people skip this, refusing to wear sun protection because they hate the sticky, greasy feel of most sunscreen products. Dr. Michael Spicer found himself in a similar situation, he knew he should wear sunscreen but he couldn’t stand the stickiness, greasiness or the smell of most sunscreen brands. As a local dermatologist, Dr. Spicer encouraged his patients to wear sunscreen, but they expressed the same complaints. So he decided to develop something better, a high-end sunscreen he calls Épicé.
The Épicé sunscreens go on like a lotion and dry like a powder, don’t burn the eyes and, of course protect from the sun’s harmful rays. They are perfect for serious athletes and others who enjoy an active outdoor lifestyle. Épicé does not contain the oils that cause damage to boats, harm bait or yellow clothing like other products.
Épicé Sunscreen is an SPF 30 broad-spectrum sunscreen that protects the skin from UVA I, UVA II and UVB rays. What really sets it apart is the unique clear zinc formula and quality ingredients.
Dr. Spicer has also created a line of skincare products including a therapeutic moisturizer and a moisturizer for men. The moisturizing lotion offers long-lasting protection that is important for people with sensitive skin and other chronic skin conditions because it creates a barrier against allergens and irritants in the environment. Shea and cocoa butters also help hydrate the skin.
All products are available online at www.epicemd.com
Daily Facial Sunscreen SPF 30 – $19.95
Ultra Sunscreen SPF 50 Feel Dry Formula – $17.95
Sunscreen SPF 30 Powder-Dry Formula – $14.95
Moisturizing Lotion, Powder Fresh Scent – $9.95
Therapeutic Moisturizing Lotion Fragrance/Scent Free – $9.95
Official Sunscreen Sponsor of the following organizations:
- Washington Nationals Spring Training
- Bahamas Bluefish Championship
- California Beach Volleyball Association
- Western Atlantic Pro Surf Series
- Cocoa Beach Ocean Rescue
- California Lifeguard Association
- Barbados Surfing Competition
- Local collegiate volleyball tournaments
What Makes Épicé Different?
- Vegetarian friendly- not tested on animals and no animal byproducts
- Evaporates quickly
- Uses only the highest quality ingredients including nanoparticle zinc
- Dries to a powder
- Full spectrum protection
The Skin Cancer Foundation recommends using a sunscreen with an SPF 15 or higher as one important part of a complete sun protection regimen. Sunscreen alone is not enough, however.
- Seek the shade, especially between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- Do not burn
- Avoid tanning and UV tanning booths
- Use a sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher every day
- Apply 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) of sunscreen to your entire body 30 minutes before going outside. Reapply every two hours.
- Cover up with clothing, including a broad-brimmed hat and UV-blocking sunglasses
- Keep newborns out of the sun. Sunscreens should be used on babies over the age of six months
- Examine your skin head-to-toe every month
- See your physician every year for a professional skin exam
About Dr. Spicer:
Michael S. Spicer, MD, FAAD, is board certified in dermatology and dermatopathology with a special interest in skin cancer and dermatologic surgery. He earned his BA in biochemistry and psychology from Rutgers University, and was awarded a full tuition scholarship to UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School. After receiving his MD, he completed an internship in pediatrics at University of Maryland. He returned to New Jersey Medical School for a dermatology residency where he focused on lasers in dermatology. A fellowship in dermatopathology followed, after which he became a Clinical Assistant Professor at New Jersey Medical School. He is currently a partner in a busy Florida practice and Medical Director for aesthetic centers in Brevard.