Celebrate Summer with the Perfect Picnic
The perfect picnic includes beautiful scenery and delicious food and drink. The possibilities are never-ending from simple to elaborate – dining al fresco is a fun way to enjoy the great outdoors.
- Be cautious of mayonnaise that may spoil in the heat. Try vinegar based salads and spreads.
- Keep salads cool by nestling serving bowls in store-bought bowl chillers or our homemade version – a larger serving bowl filled with ice.
- Pack drinks separately in a thermos to lighten the load and create more space in your basket.
- Purchase shatter-proof wine glasses with removable stems
- Pack in reverse order- dessert goes in the basket first, that way you won’t have to dig to find items.
- Bring weather-proof pillows to encourage lounging.
- Simple additions like a pretty serving plate, a vase for flowers or fabric napkins add a special touch.
- If you don’t want to cook in advance, pick up French bread, cheese, fruit, crudités, prepared salads, sliced cured meats, olives, and sun dried tomatoes at a gourmet grocery.
- Be realistic about what you can carry.
- Cups and plates
- Serving utensils
- Cutting knife
- Cutting board
- Bottle opener
- Salt and pepper
- Trash bags
- Moist towelettes
- Hand sanitizer
- Paper towels
- Tote, back pack or basket
- Bug spray