Purses with a Purpose, Serene Harbor’s annual fundraiser is a live and silent auction of designer purses. All the money raised at the event supports the nonprofit that assists victims of domestic violence. Domestic violence is a pervasive, life-threatening crime that affects millions of individuals across the United States regardless of age, economic status, race, religion or education.
For over 20 years, Serene Harbor has offered safe refuge and provided life changing services to more than 25,000 women and children who were victims of domestic violence in the local community. The role of the domestic violence shelter in assisting survivors to break away from this abuse is significant. Serene Harbor provides a safe and protective environment to support the survivors as they struggle to build a life for themselves and their children free from fear and violence.
This year’s event includes a live auction of new designer purses along with a silent auction, vendor displays, raffles, and a three-course lunch. Shop for jewelry, clothing, purses, and more with over 35 vendors. The keynote presentation will be given by Tiffany Carr, Chief Executive Officer of the Florida Coalition Against Domestic Violence. Former First Lady of the State of Florida Columba Bush is the honorary guest.
Services offered by Serene Harbor:
- Hotline — Serene Harbor provides a 24-hour domestic violence hotline which is staffed 365 days a year by trained advocates.
- Emergency shelter — While at the shelter, clients and their families are provided with basic needs and a full continuum of services.
- Case management — Case managers provide goal-oriented services which are intended to counteract the negative effects of domestic violence on the victim.
- Counseling — Serene Harbor provides psycho educational support groups on a weekly basis. Individual counseling sessions also are provided to clients.
- Education — Provides materials, training and education sessions to a variety of professionals and businesses in the community.
- Prevention Program — An 8-week prevention program is provided to third graders covering topics such as: dealing with diversity, dealing with disappointment, bullying, personal power, and healthy relationships among other topics. Serene Harbor also provides community trainings on dating violence and healthy relationships, domestic violence and elder abuse. All the trainings are provided free of charge.