[three_fourth last=”yes” spacing=”yes” background_color=”” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” background_position=”left top” border_size=”0px” border_color=”” border_style=”” padding=”” class=”” id=””][fusion_text]
By: Shawna Serig Kelsch
Lucky for us, the weather here year ‘round is pretty accommodating for people planning a wedding. With only five months of seasonal/ moderate rainfall, from June through October, Brevard is uniquely situated for outdoor wedding parties at the beach, on a ranch, in a barn or in a historic house setting. That’s not to say you can’t have an outdoor wedding in those months, just that you should plan carefully and consider a backup contingency. (Your wedding or venue planner can help you with that.)
Harbour House, Indian Harbour Beach
New to the beach scene is the Harbour House, 1901 Highway A1A, Indian Harbour Beach (in the former SatCom building). Opened earlier this year, this 8,000-square-foot, two-story wedding and events venue has sweeping views of the Atlantic, a landscaped private courtyard, and can host both beachfront and indoor ceremonies and receptions, or a combination of both.
The Harbour House is owned by Shannon and Jessee Perez, known locally for their beachside wedding planning business, Simply in Love, which coordinates Florida weddings, elopements and vow renewals around the state.
The venue is beautifully appointed, with a laid-back Key West vibe, and offers all inclusive packages, bridal and groom suites, and handicap access. ere is also an on-site wedding planner to help you with the details of your special day. Packages are available but require a consultation. For more information, visit online at www.harbourhouseevents.com.
Nyami Nyami River Lodge at the Brevard Zoo, Melbourne
Yes, yes, YES! You can get married at the zoo! The lodge offers 3,000 square feet of air-conditioned indoor space with audiovisual capabilities, Wi-Fi, a podium, tables, chairs, private restrooms and a caterer’s kitchen. The highlight of the venue is a covered veranda overlooking the giraffe exhibit – you might even catch sight of the zoo’s newest giraffe, which was calved in late April! A professional, experienced events team will help you plan your adventure in this unique location. For more information, visit online at www.brevardzoo.org.
Duran Golf Course, Viera
The Clubhouse at Duran Golf Course, which is open to the public, boasts a spectacular 10,000-square-foot space decorated in warm earth tones with the look and feel of an island sugar-mill plantation and gorgeous views of the greens. A stunning space for special events of all kinds, including rehearsal dinners and weddings, the space can accommodate up to 125 guests.
The staff at Duran is experienced with events of all kinds and can help you plan a small, intimate a air or a blowout bash for your guests. Meals and beverages (including liquor) must be contracted through the on-site Tradewinds Restaurant, where receptions and dinners occur. Meal options are varied and include buffet or sit down meals or custom menus can be developed with the executive chef.
Duran has specific requirements about outside vendors, and a preferred list of vendors they suggest. The website offers much more detail and includes a (bonus!) downloadable wedding checklist and testimonials from past clients. For more information, visit online at www.durangolf.com.
Worth a Drive Quantum Leap Winery, Orlando
If you want a Napa-like experience but lack the resources to get your wedding party to the West Coast, you might like this rustic winery located near downtown Orlando that sources grapes from around the world and imports them to their location for finishing and bottling. The winery offers three event setups for parties, weddings, receptions or rehearsal dinners and is available for rentals seven days per week. www.quantumleapwinery.com
- The Barrel Room is for smaller events (under 35) and features wooden barrel walls, exposed rafter ceilings, concrete floors and a view to the wine vats and tasting room
- The Tasting Room can accommodate up to 175 and puts guests into a dreamy, starlit space with an integrated bar and leather seating.
The. Entire. Winery. For large parties (up to 400), you can lease the entire 17,000-square-foot winery, including access to the Barrel Room, Tasting Room and beautiful
Sterling Stables, Cocoa
Set upon 54 acres of a working cattle and horse farm, Sterling Stables offers an elegant and rustic wedding event space where guests and wedding party both can “get their country (or boho) on.” SpaceCoast Business magazine Art Director Nevin Flinchbaugh and wife Tasha tied the knot there in 2016.
The barn where the events are hosted is set on four acres and decorated with an impressive glass chandelier and twinkling lights strung from the barn beams, which make for stunning photographs in a warm and softly-lit cavernous space.
Amy Cryderman is the property manager and readily available to answer questions about the venue and share insights to help brides and grooms get the most out of their event. She suggests booking at least one year in advance of your wedding date.
Sterling Stables offers use of the facilities with a at fee package, which includes morning through evening property access, use of the barn, outdoor re pit with seating, chairs for 132 guests (more available for additional charge), sweetheart table for bride and groom, gift table, cake table, dessert buffet table and use of all rustic décor. Sterling Stables also provides outdoor space and seating as part of this fee. Food, drink and music are contracted separately and Cryderman has a list of preferred vendors for consideration. To learn more, visit online at www.sterlingstables.net.
With three spaces (see what we did there?) to choose among, this is likely the most out of this world spot in all of Brevard to get hitched. All come equipped with AV capabilities and full-service kitchen staffed by an award-winning chef. A variety of menu options are offered for each venue. www.kennedyspacecenter.com.
- Dr. Kurt Debus Conference Facility: Accommodating groups from 30 to 250, guests are seated among the backdrop of the historic missions that paved the way for NASA’s Space Shuttle Program and the construction of the International Space Station.
- Space Shuttle Atlantis: Set directly underneath the center of a real-life hanging shuttle display, this venue can accommodate up to 300-seated guests at round tables. Guests are welcome to experience over 60 interactive exhibits that explain the history and relevance of space travel. Availability varies; see website for more details.
- Apollo/Saturn V Center: The dramatic centerpiece of this venue is the gigantic Saturn V moon rocket, introduced through the Apollo 8 launch sequence at mission control and then revealed in all of its enormous stages. Up to 200 seated guests are situated directly beneath the rocket and have access to the Lunar Landing eater where Neil Armstrong’s historic moon landing and walk are recreated, and lunar equipment such as landers, rovers and moon rock.
If you want to get married, you’ll need to obtain a marriage license, available at any Brevard County courthouse. The license is valid for 60 days, and there is a three-day waiting period, which can be waived if you have completed the Florida pre-marital course.
To obtain a marriage license you need:
- Identification: a picture ID such as a driver’s license, state ID card, or valid passport; both parties will also have to provide their Social Security numbers, but do not need to provide their Social Security cards.
- Fees: $93.50. (Marriage license fees can be reduced by up to $32.50 if you complete a licensed Florida pre-marital course.)