What we can do to protect this majestic bird?
- Don’t feed the animals! Feeding the Sandhill Crane causes the birds to create territories. If you have a glass door or window nearby, the bird will attack their reflection.
- Be careful when filling bird feeders, try not to spill! The cranes will become regulars to the neighborhood, putting them in danger of many human intrusions such as dogs, cats or even power lines.
- If you see a Sandhill Crane in the neighborhood warn neighbors and ask them to use caution when driving.
- When golfing, watch for the cranes, and if you spot some around the area ask the course if they would consider putting up signs for other players to use caution.
- Don’t be too friendly! Sandhill Cranes are not afraid of humans, and often will come within feet of onlookers. It is important to not to get too close to them, not only to protect yourself from a rare attack, but also to protect the bird from becoming too used to human contact.