Will Include 5K, Mayors’ Fitness Challenge Finale, Friends & Family CPR and Stop the Bleed Training
BREVARD COUNTY, FL (April 4, 2017) –Health First will host Get Active! Brevard Saturday, May 6 – a free and open to the public community event designed to encourage fitness and teach life-saving skills to members of our community.
As part of a year-round series designed to teach people about the importance of exercise and nutrition, the event will feature a free Get Active! Brevard 5K and “Friends & Family” CPR training. Health First will also offer “Stop the Bleed” training. The goal of this nationwide campaign is to empower individuals to act quickly and save lives by using life-saving interventions. Participants will learn basic bleeding-control techniques using tourniquets and pressure.
When: Saturday, May 6
- 7 a.m. – Get Active Brevard 5K begins
- 7:30-10:30 a.m. – CPR Training and Stop the Bleed Training (sessions held every 15 minutes)
- 9 a.m. – Mayors’ Fitness Challenge Finale and Awards Ceremony
Where: Health First’s Viera Hospital (8745 N. Wickham Road, Viera)
Register: To register for the Get Active! Brevard 5K, visit runningzone.com (click on “Events Calendar”). Visit myHFHP.org/GetActive for more information.
- During the 13-week Mayors’ Fitness Challenge, teams from municipalities across the Space Coast committed to exercising and healthier lifestyles. The winning team will be awarded the “Most Fit City 2017” trophy. The individual who loses the largest percentage of his or her body weight (participants ages 18 and older) will be crowned the winner of “The Great Weight-Off” and awarded a $500 cash prize.
- As trauma is the No. 1 cause of death for Americans between ages 1 and 46 and the No. 3 cause of death overall, Health First offers “Stop the Bleed” classes to the community. The free training classes are held at the Health First Training Center (3470 N. US Highway 1, Melbourne). Participants will learn basic bleeding-control techniques using tourniquets and pressure. Each participant will receive a free tourniquet.Visit HFsaves.org to register.
About Health First
Founded in 1995, Health First is Brevard County’s not-for-profit, community healthcare system. The fully integrated delivery network (IDN) includes health insurance plans, hospitals, a multi-specialty medical group and outpatient and wellness services. As a locally owned, not-for-profit organization, Health First is committed to investing in our community. In 2015, Health First provided more than $129 million in community support. To learn more about Health First and how we’re giving back to our community, please visit HFgivesback.org.